Thursday, January 28, 2010

Spicy Orange Garlic Shrimp


This is what I had for lunch today. Yum.... Every once in awhile I can't stomach another lunch of leftovers or PB&J and I make myself something yummy.

I purchased the frozen shrimp and old bay seasoning a couple weeks ago and have been dying to try this recipe. I think next time I'll half the Old Bay and Cayenne because my mouth is still burning and I think the celery salt flavor from the Old Bay could be dialed down a bit.

-Pioneer Woman/Pastor Ryan


24 pieces (26-30 Per Pound) Deveined Shrimp (I used the 60-80 size that were already peeled and deveined - easy!)
2 cloves (to 4 Cloves) Garlic (1 tsp. minced)
¾ cup Orange Juice
1/8 -½ teaspoons Ground Cayenne Pepper
1/2- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
3 Tablespoons Salted Butter

Thaw and peel the shrimp. Thaw them by running them under cold water for a few minutes. Dry the peeled shrimp by draining them on a paper towel or two.

Thinly slice your garlic cloves. Add the garlic to ¾ cup of orange juice. Use a nice high quality orange juice. Measure out and add all of the spices to the orange juice as well.

In a large skillet over high heat melt 2 tablespoons butter. Once butter has melted add your shrimp. Cook them for about 30-60 seconds and begin flipping them over starting with the ones you placed in the pan first so they don’t get overdone. Cook for another 30-60 seconds. Remove the cooked shrimp from the pan, leaving the heat on high.

Once the butter and drippings begin to smoke ever so slightly add the spicy orange garlic mixture to the pan and give it a good stir. Add the last tablespoon of butter to the sauce and after a few minutes of cooking and occasional stirring your sauce should be slightly thicker.

Return the shrimp to the pan and give them a nice toss to coat them in the sauce.

No comments: