Monday, October 25, 2010

Lemon Drop Cookies


I found this recipe on a food blog I came across last week. Yeah for food blogs! This one is another keeper! I thought I'd be smart and just use my Silpat instead of the parchment paper, but for some reason, it really affected how the cookies looked. Halfway through, I switched pans and the cookies turned out much better. I recommend using parchment paper on an Airbake pan.


2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter-flavored shortening
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon extract
4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Finely chopped zest of one lemon
1 (6-oz) package lemon drops (I only found LemonHeads and they worked well)

Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
Juice of 1-2 lemons

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening, and eggs; add flavorings. Stir in dry ingredients, lemon zest, and crushed lemon drops. Roll into balls, flatten slightly, and bake on parchment lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly on pan for a couple of minutes. Make a glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice. Brush glaze over cookie tops. Let cookies cool completely.

Makes 4 to 5 dozen cookies.

No comments: