Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cheese Boats


Whenever I eat these they remind me of home and family - one of those dishes that's not particularly fancy or complicated, but comforting because it reminds me of  my childhood. This one is tricky in my family because Paige and I are the only ones that like olives. I think next time, I'll just make some without olives before stirring them in for the rest. Paige calls these "volcanoes" and I think the name fits! :)

-Grandma Carling

12 French rolls
1 lb. longhorn cheese, shredded (4 cups)
1/2 can olives - sliced or chopped
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup El Pato sauce
3 eggs, hard boiled and grated or finely chopped
garlic powder - about 1/4 tsp

Scoop the middles out of rolls. Mix all the above ingredients together in a saucepan until cheese is melted. Fill rolls with mixture. Wrap in foil and heat in 300 degree oven for 15 minutes or until heated through. (Mom always put the wrapped rolls in a muffin tin so they didn't fall over - this works great because if you don't keep them upright the cheese oozes out into the foil.)

No comments: