Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Massaman Curry


I love Thai food and one of my favorite dishes is Massaman Curry. I ran across this recipe on Pinterest and we made a special trip to the Asian market to get some of the ingredients. It was SOO worth it! Yummy!



1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used thighs)
3 Tbsp. massaman curry paste (I used ¼ cup)
8 cardamom (I used 1 tsp. ground)
2 sticks cinnamon (I used ½ tsp. ground)
3 whole star anise
6 small/3 large shallots; peeled, quartered if large
2 cans coconut milk
1 cup water
1 ½ Tbsp. fish sauce
2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
½ Tbsp. tamarind paste
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
3-4 Tbsp. peanuts, roasted and unsalted
2 Tbsp. peanut/vegetable oil
Thai basil leaves – a handful, chopped

Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.
Add 1 tbsp of the oil and the massaman curry paste to the chicken. Mix well, and set aside to marinate.
Heat the remaining oil in a pan.
Once the oil is hot, fry the cinnamon, cardamom and star anise in it for 30 seconds.
Add the shallots and fry until golden-brown.
Then add the chicken, lower the flame and let it cook for 3-5 minutes.
Add coconut milk, fish sauce, water, potatoes, peanuts and half the basil.
Bring the mixture to a boil.
Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
If needed, remove the lid and cook until the curry reaches desired thickness.
Check seasoning.
Remove the pan from the flame.
Stir in the tamarind paste, brown sugar and remaining basil.
Serve hot with jasmine rice.

1 comment:

Mark said...

This seems to be a fantastic recipe. Thank you for sharing such detailed recipe instructions. In comparison to other recipes, I still consider Massaman Curry to be one of my favorites. I attempted a similar Chicken massaman curry recipe a few days ago, and it was fantastic. Your way of making the Massaman curry recipe is also appealing to me. So without a question I'm going to give this a try.