Friday, January 23, 2009

Maple Syrup

Although we usually have Log Cabin or buttermilk syrup around our house, we ran out the other day and I found this recipe. I thought it was quite yummy and it's similar to the syrup my mom makes.

2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1-1/2 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/2 tsp. imitation maple flavoring
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine sugars, water and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil (just long enough to dissolve the sugars and reduce some - boil it too long and you'll make candy) and then remove from heat. Stir in maple flavoring and vanilla extract. Let cool before serving.

I put mine in a quart jar and am storing it in the cupboard - I don't think there's any need to refrigerate unless you like cold syrup.

1 comment:

Ryan and Lori said...

I like this idea! Sounds like a good balance of sweetners.