Monday, April 26, 2010

Pioneer Pie Crust


Pie crust has never been one of my strong points, but I thought I'd try to make it one! My mom shared this recipe with me and it's a winner for flaky crust. I decided to use lard because it was what the pioneers would have used. At my mom's suggestion I rolled it out between layers of a clean trash bag. It was the easiest dough I've ever worked with. The crust came out beautiful and flaky, but it was not very flavorful. I think next time I'll try butter-flavored Crisco.

-Mom Pulsipher

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup lard or shortening (butter-flavored Crisco)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp. vinegar
Approx. 4 Tbsp. cold water

Mix flour with salt. Cut in shortening. Mix egg and vinegar in a 1/2 cup measuring cup and fill to top with cold water - about 4 Tbsp. Drizzle into flour mixture and mix with fork. Chill while preparing pie ingredients. Roll out in between sheets of a clean trash bag. Brush with egg white mixed with 1 tsp. water.

No comments: