Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Potato Leek Soup


I love Bountiful Baskets! Not only does it save us money on produce, I love experimenting with the great variety of vegetables. I joke that it's like Christmas every other Saturday - you never know what you'll get! This was the first time I had ever used leeks - I don't know why - they're delicious! Much to my surprise, this soup was a hit with the whole family.

Modified from Allrecipes.com

1 cube butter
2 leeks, sliced, and thoroughly rinsed
1 tsp salt
½ tsp. pepper
2 cans chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
5 medium-sized Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups half-and-half or whole milk
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper until tender, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.
Stir cornstarch into broth and pour broth into pot. Add the potatoes and bring to a boil. Pour in the half-and-half, reduce heat and simmer at least 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.

No comments: