Friday, July 30, 2010

Chocolate Marshmallow Bars


Here's another of my favorites that I haven't made in a long time. According to my family, we need to have them more often! :) I believe this another winner that my mom got from Taste of Home many years ago.

3/4 cup margarine or butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1/2 cup chopped nuts
4 cups miniature marshmallows

Topping:
1 1/3 cups milk chocolate chips (I like semi-sweet)
3 Tbsp. margarine or butter
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups crisp rice cereal

Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread in greased jelly roll pan (or 9"x13"). Bake at 350 for 15 to 18 minutes (20 to 25 for a 9"x13" pan). Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over cake; return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes. Spread the melted marshmallows evenly over cake. Cool.

For topping, combine chips, margarine and peanut butter in small pan. Cook over low heat until melted. Stir in cereal. Spread over bars. Chill.

No comments: